Local Government Education provides information, research, training and tools for local government officials while expanding the knowledge base. We build capacity in communities through instruction that:
- Helps new officials understand their roles and responsibilities as public officials in Wisconsin.
- Develops the abilities of new and continuing officials to fulfill their roles and responsibilities.
- Builds collaborations between Extension educators and local officials.
- Provides current information on topics and practices that affect communities.
- Helps officials fulfill requirements when statutes require specific instruction such as Board of Review.
We also respond to timely issues facing local government officials. Explore our resources related to COVID-19 >
Explore Resources for Local Government Officials
The UW-Madison Extension Local Government Education Program works with a range of partners to develop and present program content and educational events. We provide in-person workshops, distance education and resources to support local elected officials.
Key Topics in Local Government
Extension collaborates with the Wisconsin Counties Association, Wisconsin Towns Association, the League of Wisconsin Municipalities and additional partners to provide information and training on current topics.
Workshops and Distance Education
Attend a workshop or find resources for your role in local government.
Local Government Basics
If you would like to learn more about training and resources for local government officials, contact us:
Program Manager: Karl Green
Office Operations Associate: Laurie Lindquist