The Extension Institute of Natural Resources helps individuals, communities and the state coexist with Wisconsin’s rich water, mineral land and forestry resources. Extension’s Lake Superior National research reserve and Upham Woods Outdoor Learning Center are examples of research and programming that serve Wisconsinites living in a resource-rich state.
Natural Resources Highlights
Providing educational opportunities to youth, youth leaders, and adults through programs focused on environmental and leadership education
Leading and facilitating water quality projects and engaging private woodland owners to encourage sustainable forest management
Providing education, training, and service opportunities for adult volunteers who are passionate about conserving the state’s natural resources
Surveying Wisconsin’s geological, mineral, and water resources
Did You Know
Many people already know of our popular programs, but did you know we also:
- have played an important role in interdisciplinary environmental research and public outreach for over 50 years at the Environmental Resources Center
- educate about ecosystems, people, and the practices and policies that shape both
- have study sites along the trails at Wehr Nature Center that allow guided groups to investigate the natural world face-to-face
- have a citizen science network that empowers people to take action against invasive species
- publish the Central Wisconsin Sustainability Newsletter
- provide a citizen’s guide to watershed planning in Wisconsin
- And much more! Check with your local office for more programs near you.
Natural Resources Updates
Natural Resources Publications
The Learning Store produces and distributes educational materials based on university research, extending knowledge to the statewide community.
Supporting Native Bees: Our Essential Pollinators describes the importance of bees in pollinating major food crops, how to attract and support native pollinators, and how to construct, place, and maintain nests
View Related Topics on the Learning Store
Find Your Local Office
Extension experts live and work in the communities they serve. Our team offers insight and solutions based on a deep understanding of local needs and priorities.
A Part of the Agriculture & Natural Resources Program Area
Extension’s Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources creates a bridge between Wisconsin’s ag and the environmental resources with the people that use them. We help producers, farmers, and businesses build stronger and more diverse farm and food systems. With communities and regions, we work hand-in-hand to support land and water resource needs.
Tricia Gorby is the director for the Natural Resources Institute. Tricia also worked as the Implementation manager for the nEXT Generation project with Extension. Prior to joining Extension, Tricia served in several roles at the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources